UGC conducts qualifying exam for postgraduate candidates who want to pursue a career in leaching in India or want to earn a PhD degree in research programs.
The test is conducted for around 90 or more disciplines. The exam is held to determine the eligibility of the candidate to be a university lecturer and to award Junior Research Fellowship.
The first NET by UGC was held in 1989 and is now held twice a year in June and again in December.
Preparing for the exam in advance is very important as it is supposed to be the toughest exam in the Indian education.
UGC NET Exam Important Dates
Last date of filling application form fee – 30/10/2013
Last date of submission of fee – 02/11/2013
Last date of printout of form – 05/11/2013
Date of exam – 29/12/2013
Selection Procedure for UGC Net Exam
Candidates are chosen according to the performance in the test that is held by UGC NET. There is only a written exam that candidates will appear for. Candidates who qualify in the first paper will be allowed to appear in the second. Those who qualify in the both the tests are chosen.
UGC Net Exam Eligibility Criteria
- Candidate should have a Master’s Degree or any equivalent exam from any recognized university in languages, Humanities, computer science and applications, social science and electronic science etc.
- Candidate should score 55% marks for the general category and for OBC. For reserved candidates the score should be 50%.
- Candidates who are in the final year of the Masters degree or have their test delayed can also apply.
- The age of the candidate should not exceed 28 years. Age relaxation is applicable only for groups that fit in the rule.
Application Fees For UGC Net Exam
Candidates have to pay for the application form. The fees for the application form differ according to the category.
- Candidates in the general category will pay Rs. 450
- Candidates in the OBC category will pay Rs. 225
- Candidates in the SC/ST category will pay Rs. 110.
How to Apply / Application Procedure for UGC Net Exam
Candidates should apply online on the UGC NET official website. The official website address is www.ugcnetonline.in. Candidate needs to have a valid email ID and password to be filled in the application form. They have to fill the online application form as mentioned. Every detail needs to be filled correctly. Wrong information or incorrect information forms will be rejected. Applicants have to upload a scanned photography along with the signature of the candidate.
Candidates now have to pay the fees through the challan. A printout of the online application form should also be taken after paying the fees.
Candidates can now send the form and the documents to the Registrar or the Principal of the Coordinating institution before the date mentioned.
Syllabus and Pattern for UGC Net Exam
The pattern of the test comprise of three papers. They will be held in two sessions. Those who qualify in the first test will be allowed to appear for the second test. All the papers will be of objective type questions.
The first test comprises of two papers of 100 marks each. The papers will be of 1 ¼ hours duration each. The second test will carry 200 marks and is given 2 ½ hours duration.
The syllabus of the test should be downloaded from the official website. Candidates will not receive any particular syllabus from the organization. For the second test, candidates have to option to choose either English or Hindi medium of language expect for languages.